Thirsk - Heart of Herriot Country
Treasure Hunt Trail
Warning: Our Trails are highly addictive (even for parents)!
Are you ready to explore Thirsk?
Are you looking for something to do with family and friends or seeking a fun day out with the kids...
- A Treasure Hunt themed walking Treasure Trail around Thirsk
- Ideal for discovering more about where you live or exploring somewhere new
- Trails are done in your own time at your own pace
- This Trail is approximately 2.5 miles long and takes 2.5+ hours to complete
- This Trail is suitable for all ages from 6 - 106 (no children necessary!)
- One Trail booklet is enough for 4-5 people
- Chance to win some real Treasure! All correct answers are entered into the monthly £100 prize draw
- Circular loop Trail
- Free mobile phone text service for clue answers if you get stuck, ensuring that no mystery goes unsolved
- This Trail can be sent to you in the post or downloaded today for instant Trailing fun!
The Thirsk - Heart of Herriot Country Treasure Trail starts at:
We have three super duper themed Clubs for your child to enjoy as part of their Treasure Trail experience.
Perfect for 4-8 year olds, the concept behind the Clubs is that your child will get a bundle of goodies to excite them about their forthcoming Trail experience, something to keep them entertained whilst travelling to and from the Trail, and something to be given on completion of the Trail as a keepsake.
Show more »
Discover where the author behind James Herriot practised as a vet, search for hidden animals at the riverside and learn about a haunted chair as you explore the ins and outs of Thirsk, a bustling market town in the heart of Herriot Country.
This Trail starts and finishes in the market place and takes a route around Thirsk taking in some riverside paths and exploring the site of the old castle as well as key historical points of interest around the town.
There are some nice riverside picnic spots along the route. Refreshments are readily available around the start and finish points. Public conveniences are centrally located and signed from the start point of the Trail.
Extend your trip:
A detour is suggested in the Trail booklet to explore nearby Sowerby with its varied architecture and 12th century church. This will add 1.5 miles to your walk. The World of James Herriot is also well worth a visit and comes highly recommended.
The Long Stay Marage and; Millgate Car Park with WC, signed from Market Place as you drive through Thirsk, is closest to the start (YO7 1SZ). Thirsk also has regular bus services from local towns. The train station is situated 1.5 miles from the town centre.