There are numerous studies on what is good for children and we are all aware that children who spend quality time with their siblings, parents, grandparents and other close family members are often grounded and happy.
Our claims below are generalisations, but we are certain they are right!
1. The family that plays together stays together! Playing together develops as families grow up and become more independent but there is nothing like a good game to keep everyone connected – and of course in today’s world of technology the game playing can continue even when the children have left home! We play several games on line with our siblings and adult children.
2. The family that takes regular exercise will be healthier and happier. Children who play and explore outdoors are less stressed and more confident. And whilst you could explore from your sofa, it is much more fun to get up and go outdoors to do it.
3. The family that knows their local area will have more choices. Imagine moving to a new area and not exploring it. It is almost the first thing most of us do when we move – find out where the shops, schools, leisure centres, parks and so on are. That’s exploring!
4. Encouragement of inquisitiveness will remain with children long after they’ve grown up. Having or showing an interest in learning things and being curious keeps the old young! It was Albert Einstein who said “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing”.
Love of Travel
5. Exploring new places as children instils a love of travel and it is said travel broadens the mind. We couldn’t find the source of that saying, but we completely agree with Mark Twain who said “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
6. Exploring isn’t expensive unless your plan is to explore outer space or the Arctic Circle! Exploring the garden and investigating all the wee bugs and beasties counts as exploring in our book! “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
So get out there and explore if you know what is good for you!
We really enjoy reading about people’s exploring adventures – send your stories and photos to us on Facebook (as these families did) and have a great summer.
Amanda Ingham 6th August 2014
Posted In: Family Fun